Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Book Review :: I Can Learn to Pray by Holly Hawkins Shivers

I Can Learn to Pray is a book written by Holly Hawkins Shivers and illustrated by Becka Moor. I Can Learn to Pray is a follow up to Holly Hawkins Shivers' previous book, I Can Learn the Bible. In I Can Learn to Pray, the emphasis is on learning how to pray (& listen) to God.(The author intends that the child or children reading this will have a blank journal to accompany it, along with an adult to help guide them through.)
I Can Learn to Pray will take your kids (& you) through 52 prompts. It is intended to be used as a year-long devotional (taking one week to study and learn about each topic). The pages in I Can Learn to Pray are full-color.

Each devotion in I Can Learn to Pray is marked with "Week 1, Week 2, ...Week 52" and is a total of 4 pages long. Each devotion starts out with a full page illustration of the prompt for the week followed by 3 pages discussing the topic/verses, including a specific prayer prompt. The illustrations are cute and done in fun (but somewhat muted) colors. The devotionals have stories and/or examples that are great to help kids grasp the concept being shared.

I think that I Can Learn to Pray is a great resource for families and is simple enough that it can easily be used by anyone. 
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy through the BookLook Bloggers book review bloggers program. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: