Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Book Review :: I Can Learn the Bible (The Joshua Code for Kids) by Holly Hawkins Shivers, illustrated by Becka Moor

I Can Learn the Bible is a book written by Holly Hawkins Shivers and illustrated by Becka Moor. It is an adapted version of The Joshua Code (which is based on Joshua 1:8). (The author of I Can Learn the Bible is the daughter of the author of The Joshua Code, O. S. Hawkins.) As the cover states, I Can Learn the Bible is The Joshua Code for Kids. (We do not own The Joshua Code, so I cannot compare/contrast these resources in this review.)

I Can Learn the Bible will take your kids (& you) through 52 scriptures from the Bible. It is intended to be used as a year-long devotional (taking one week to study, learn about, and memorize each scripture). (There is a schedule suggestion listed in the "Letter to Parents".) The pages in I Can Learn the Bible are full-color.

Each devotion in I Can Learn the Bible is marked with "Week 1, Week 2, ...Week 52" and is a total of 4 pages long. Each devotion starts out with a full page illustration of the scripture for the week followed by 3 pages discussing the topic/verse, including a prayer (with a fill-in-the-blank portion to personalize the prayer). The illustrations are cute and done in fun (but muted) colors. (I wish the full page illustrations of the scriptures were available as printables or even coloring pages - these would be a fantastic resource to hang on the wall.) The devotionals have practical stories and/or examples that are great to help kids understand the concept being shared. Each devotional ends with the same phrase: "God's Word is for me and to me, it is in me, and working through me, and just like His love, it goes on and on forever!"

The majority of the verses (including all of the llustrated verses) that are referenced in I Can Learn the Bible are taken from the ICB (International Children's Bible) version. (I noticed only one verse referenced from the NIV and one from the NKJV.) 

For those who might be curious, I thought I would show a breakdown of where the 52 scriptures in I Can Learn the Bible are taken from:
Genesis: 1
Exodus: 1
Joshua: 1
1 Samuel: 1
2 Chronicles: 1
Psalms: 5
Proverbs: 2
Ecclesiastes: 1
Isaiah: 2
Jeremiah: 1
Zephaniah: 1
Matthew: 6
Mark: 1
Luke: 2
John: 6
Acts: 1
Romans: 3
1 Corinthians: 2
Galatians: 2
Ephesians: 4
Philippians: 4
1 Timothy: 1
James: 1
1 John: 1
Revelation: 1

The Appendix of I Can Learn the Bible has 12 tips for helping children memorize scripture. 

I think that I Can Learn the Bible is a great resource for families and is simple enough that it can easily be used by anyone. 
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy through the BookLook Bloggers book review bloggers program. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: