Friday, January 23, 2015

Book Review :: Bunny's First Spring by Sally Lloyd Jones, illustrated by David McPhail

Bunny's First Spring is a new hardcover book (with dust jacket - same images on each) from Sally Lloyd-Jones, illustrated by David McPhail. You may know Sally Lloyd-Jones as the author of The Jesus Storybook Bible and Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing

I must admit, with Sally Lloyd-Jones as the author, I was expecting more of a moral-based or praise-based book. Really, this is just the story of a little bunny who is born one spring, sees the change that fall and winter bring, and then gets to see the re-birth of the next spring. The change and growth of the world are often compared to the bunny throughout the story. It is sweet to experience the seasons for the "first time" with the little bunny, and the illustrations are a beautiful complement to the text. There is a (paraphrased) quote from Martin Luther at the end of the story, but I wish the idea of God bringing new life had been emphasized in the text of the story, rather than just tacked on in a quote at the end. 

I think Bunny's First Spring is a cute book to share with little ones about the changes that the seasons bring. (The book states ages 4-8, but I think this may be more suited for ages 2 or 3 through 6.)
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: