Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Book Review :: The Berenstain Bears and the Easter Story by Jan & Mike Berenstain

The Berenstain Bears and the Easter Story is another great book from the line of The Berenstain Bears books. These books have been instant classics from the time I was little (and before), and now I enjoy sharing them with my kids. This particular book is a great tool to help children understand the true meaning of Easter.
(Hint: It's not about candy!) 
In The Berenstain Bears and the Easter Story, Missus Ursula (Brother, Sister, and Honey Bear's Sunday school teacher) directs the three bears to watch a play called 'The Easter Story' so they can learn that Easter is not about candy. The play does a good job of portraying Jesus' time on earth (teaching, miracles, the garden, the cross, the tomb, the resurrection, and his ascension). The illustrations are cute and age appropriate.

I think the book did a great job telling the Easter story, but I must admit that the last part of the book was a little off, in my opinion. After watching the play and learning about Jesus' life, death, resurrection, and ascension, the book comes down to basically saying after you get candy, then you go to church to learn about Jesus. I was hoping for something just a little bit deeper. (Yes, I know this is meant for 4-7 year olds.)

In the middle of the book is a sticker sheet that contains 16 round, 1 1/2", full-color stickers. The stickers are on a perforated insert that is easy to tear out without messing up the flow of the book. (When it is torn out, there are no annoying pieces left behind.) This is a fun bonus that kids are sure to appreciate.

On the inside of the back cover, there are questions and activity suggestions for those who would like to take it farther than just reading the book.

All in all, I think this is a great book to share with young children to help celebrate Easter.
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: